“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”


-Lance Armstrong


Friday, April 22, 2011

The Jelly Bean 5K - A great way to start Easter weekend!


Ran my first virtual race in bloggy land on Thursday and set a new PR for 5K!  I tried so hard to go for a sub-30 min 5K, but I started out too strong and tuckered myself out.  I  know getting faster takes time, but I am stubborn.



So I ran the 5K in 30:08!  8 seconds away from my goal!!!  This is an average pace of 9:46.  My fastest average yet.  I am going to start working on a speed a little bit with interval runs and tempo runs and see if I can get that coveted sub-30 min 5K next month.
 
Here are my splits.

Mile 1 - 9:16 Too fast!
Mile 2 - 9:51 Slowing down....
Mile 3 - 10:13 UGH!


Overall it was a good race.  I had water at every mile because it is very hot at 5:00 in the evening here in Louisiana.  I am not used to running in the heat since I started in November of last year.  I will get my fair share of the heat from now on... good thing I have a hydration belt. :)

I went to the track and did my run and felt stupid wearing my bib there on the track, so I put it on at home and got a picture of me running down our street.



I'm excited to see how everyone else did in the race.   Jess did an awesome job with her 25:58 time!!  I am also excited to see if I win any of the prizes! :D

* * * * * * * * * *

Have you ever competed in a virtual race?  How was it?
- I competed in my very first one this Easter weekend and it was fun.  It has a really cute name and some awesome prizes like bondi bands, ryders eyewear, GU, books on running, and other things that are going to be given away at random, not by winning times.  I will definently be doing more of these!!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim!!! Ran mine today - first EVER! Did it in 30.52 wahooooo! I am super proud of myself! Such a fun way to start!!! GREAT job to you to and good luck w/ the prizes he he!!!

    ReplyDelete