Never ever ever EVER in my life did I think I would like running. I was never a fit person. I was overweight. I didn't play sports in school. I didn't like P.E. The most "sporty" thing I was in was marching band in high school and a couple years of college. And now at the age of 25, I am a RUNNER.... let me tell you more about me and how I got to this point in my life!
My name is Kim, and I teach first grade. My husband and I have been married for a year and 3 months now. I have been overweight since I was in 5th grade. It bothered me on and off.. sometimes I would cry about it when I couldn't wear the clothes I wanted to wear. Sometimes I just embraced the fact and dealt with it. Well after college I started to really put on the pounds.. I remember one morning in about April of 2009 specifically that brought me to tears. A pair of my favorite jeans wouldn't button. I sat there and cried and cried. I didn't do anything about it then. It didn't happen until later on that summer. After we were out for summer, the hubz and I went on a cruise. I call this my last blast on bad eating.. because boy did we eat! And we ate BAD! We ate 5 meals a day... which included 5 deserts a day! I think about that now and it disgusts me. So when we returned home, I decided a lifestyle change was loooooong over due. I joined a WONDERFUL website called SparkPeople.com. It helped me track calories, track fitness minutes, and it offered many articles/tips/advice on weight loss. I counted calories, drank more water, and was an exercising FOOL! :) My exercise program all started out with Zumba... I thank the guy who invented Zumba so much for helping me build my cardio base. It's so much fun and a GREAT workout... you don't even feel like you are working out sometimes! If it wasn't for Zumba, I wouldn't be the runner that I am becoming now!
So my weight loss journey began.. I have lost a total of 70 pounds so far, which is past my original goal weight! I have set a new goal weight now, along with other goals.
Here are some before and after pictures:
People ask me all the time how did I lose the weight, so here of some of my favorites tools that helped me (and are still helping me!!!!!!):
Sparkpeople - I found this the day I started my diet. I just did a web search for free weight loss programs and it came up. I LOVE this website. It has a free calorie tracker. You put in just about ANY food and its on there with the nutrition info. You just search and add it to your food tracker for the day. They give you a suggested calorie plan for losing weight, along with fat, carbs, and protein suggestions. There is so much more on this website including articles on health, fitness, and motivational stories. If you can't afford weight watchers, but want something like it then this is the thing for you!!
Hungry Girl Cookbooks - I am SO glad a friend of mine introduced me to hungry girl. This woman is a genius!!! She creates YUMMY recipes that are low fat and low calories. She has a daily email newsletter that is awesome, too! I use her advice and suggested products DAILY.
ZUMBA! - Got me started on working out... I went 5 days a week religiously before I started running! :)
My exercise plan revolves around my training for a 10K now. I will get into that later on :)
Diet is everything when it comes to weight loss. Here are some of my favorite foods and drinks... YUM!
- Skinny Cow Icecream Treats - When I get that chocolate craving, I get some of those fudge bars they make and I am one happy girl!
- Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese Wedges - These are only 35 calories each! I use them on sandwhiches, burgers, and in my eggs!
- Lean cuisines and Smartones Frozen Dinners - Eat one of these for lunch every day, with a light yogurt and a fresh fruit.
- Jennie-O Turkey burgers - Taste the same as hamburgers.. believe me!!!
- Smart POP! - Love me some popcorn as an after work snack.
- Cereal - I LOVE Cheerios! Honey Nut, Chocolate, Fruity, Apple Cinnamon... I love them all!!! I also like the Special K cereals when I am wanting to switch it up from the Cheerios. And instead of skim milk, I use the Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk to cut calories.
- Wheat Pasta - We have pasta probably twice a week, which I am ok with now that I am a runner. I always go for the wheat since it is better for you and keeps you full longer.
- Clear American Flavored Waters (Walmart) - Carbonated flavored water that is ZERO calories... don't mind if I do!
Until next time!